Shared by Alok Pandey, Programme Manager-PRIA
Delhi comes with a clear motto – to ‘rid’ the city of its slums! As if slums were empty pockets devoid of real people in them!
When there is so much buzz about ‘participation’, ‘in-situ’ rehabilitation, flagship mission scheme of Rajiv Awas Yojana — Delhi government is allotting houses to the ‘eligible’ slum dweller .These slum dwellers are being ‘displaced’ from the upmarket areas of Khan Market (Bharti Nagar Slum), New Friends colony (Taimoor Nagar) to Bawana!
Only 40% of residents are meeting the eligibility criteria but the other 60% are also being displaced and are being left homeless to fend for themselves!
The Delhi government has selected 1,300 families across 14 slums for allotment of Economically Weaker Section (EWS) flats. They will be relocated by the end of May.
The eligible residents will be allotted flats in the first phase of the project by the Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB). Flats will be allotted in areas like Narela and Bawana.
The Delhi government has planned to displace all the slums in the city by 2015.
Notices have been put up in many slum areas to inform people about the scheme, so that those who may have missed earlier could avail the benefit. Eligible slum dwellers will be given their lease letters and they will be shifted to their flats in a week’s time, after which the removal process will be carried on. On the other hand, ineligibles left homeless, will have to move out looking for shelter.
The Delhi State Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (DSIIDC) has already completed construction of 9,660 flats in Narela, Dwarka and Bhorgarh under JNNURM scheme and another 5,184 flats are likely to be completed very soon.
There are 685 slum clusters in the city, out of which 352 have come up on land owned by DDA while 333 slums have come up on land owned by Delhi government, Railways, CPWD, NDMC, MCD, Cantonment Board and CPWD.
Urban Development Minister AK Walia said Delhi government will ask DDA to remove the slums from their land and provide the residents housing while it will take care of relocation of the rest of the slum clusters.
Officials said people who have settled in a slum or a jhughi- jhopri cluster not later than March 31, 2007, will be eligible to get allotment of the low-cost houses. And they admit only 40% residents of each slum are thereby ‘eligible’ for the allotment.