In the light of “The Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Bill, 2012” which is pending for presentation in the current Monsoon Session of the Parliament, the National Hawkers Federation(NHF) submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on 27th August 2013.
NHF is the largest federation of different hawkers’ and street-vendors’ unions, organizations and associations. It is active since 1999-2000 and currently 800 independent unions, organizations and associations along with 11 Central Trade Unions and affiliated hawker unions constitute the National Hawker Federation. NHF played a major role in the creation of the Model Act and the Street Vendor Policy of 2004 and 2009.
On behalf of all the hawkers and street vendors of the country NHF made following appeal
1. The Street Vendors (Protection of Livelihood and Regulation of Street Vending) Bill, 2012 should be passed in the current monsoon session of the parliament.
2. A central monitoring task force must be constituted by the Government of India to implement The Hawkers Act.
3. A special Hawkers Board should be constituted to provide social security schemes to hawkers.
4. Hawkers should not only be included in Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY); they should be included under Employees’ State Insurance (ESI).
5. Housing should be provided to all hawkers under Rajiv Awas Yojana (RAY) and Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM).